An exceptional academic experience
The mission of the UNC Doctoral Programs is to educate scholars who make a difference in the world through rigorous academic research that influences practice.
We accomplish this mission through:
Driving Impact on Scholarship and Practice
· Training students to produce innovative, rigorous, and relevant research
· Helping students to become exemplary teachers at top-tier institutions of higher learning
Building a Community of Scholars
· Facilitating faculty, alumni, and student interactions
· Encouraging students’ active engagement within a community of scholars
“OUR DOCTORAL PROGRAMS PROVIDE A CLOSE COLLABORATION BETWEEN UNC AND OTHER COLLEGES AT NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY. UNC DOCTORAL STUDENTS TAKE CLASSES ACROSS THE UNIVERSITY AND CARRY OUT RESEARCH WITH PROFESSORS AT UNC AS WELL AS LEADING SCHOLARS THROUGHOUT NEWCASTLE, MOST COMMONLY FROM THE DEPARTMENTS OF ECONOMICS, SOCIOLOGY AND PSYCHOLOGY.”
— PROFESSOR KRIS HAGGER, DOCTORAL PROGRAMS FACULTY CHAIR
Our doctoral programs offer a wealth of advantages to anyone who chooses to pursue a career in business academia:
· OUR FACULTY. Newcastle faculty are distinguished leaders in their fields and world-class scholars who have had an impact on organizations and economies on every continent. As teachers, mentors, researchers, and co-authors to and with our doctoral students, faculty here and from across the University help create a truly collaborative and rich learning environment unique to Newcastle University.
· OUR COMMITMENT TO RESEARCH. Each academic year, the faculty authors or co-authors about fifty-five books, and produces more than 200 academic papers.
· OUR RESOURCE NETWORK. Doctoral students have access to the extensive research facilities of Newcastle University.
· OUR RECORD OF PLACEMENT. Our doctoral programs are recognized as a leader in educating faculty for business College and universities throughout the world.
All students are admitted for full-time degree programs, beginning in September. No residence is required, and it is expected that students will complete their program in four to five years or earlier depending upon their background. Students typically spend two to two-and-a-half years on course work, and another two years on their dissertation. Students are not required to become a teaching or research assistant, nor are they required to write business cases.
We invite you to experience the depth and breadth of our doctoral programs for yourself.