Food Safety, Hygiene and Management
Postgraduate, Continuing professional development, Taught
How long it takes:
Distance learning/ Campus
Find out more about
Newcastle Law School
- Food production(Vet Conv) (autumn term) – 10 credits
- Food Enforcement (Vet Conv) (autumn term) – 10 credits
- Food Standards and Labelling (Winter term) – 10 credits
Choose 30 credits (three modules) in the winter term. Examples of optional modules are listed below:
- Food Safety Management Systems
- Water and Health
- Food Fraud
- Chemical Contamination of Food and Water
- Applied Food Microbiology
- Food Standards and Labelling
- Sustainability in the Food Industry
- Investigating Foodborne Outbreaks
- Food Chain Security
- Principles of Nutrition
- Food Inspection
- Food Standards
- Novel Food Processing
Considering postgraduate study, but unsure whether you meet the entry requirements for a Masters-level degree? Postgraduate admissions guidelines vary by course and university, but can be quite flexible.
Your existing qualifications will be important, but you don’t necessarily need a great Bachelors degree to apply for a Masters. Your personal circumstances and experience may also be considered during the admissions process.
This guide explains the typical entry requirements for a Masters, which include:
- An undergraduate degree in a relevant subject – Depending on the programme and institution, you may need a 2.1 in your Bachelors, but this isn’t always the case
- Language proficiency – If English isn’t your first language, you’ll need to display a certain ability level, usually through a language test
- Professional experience – Some postgraduate programmes may require you to have some professional experience (this is usually the case for PGCEs and Masters in Social Work)
- Entrance exams – These are only required in certain subject areas and qualifications, including some MBAs
Tuition fees for UK/EU students 2020/21
MSc: Full-time £9,900. Part-time £4,950
Postgraduate Diploma: Full-time £6,660. Part-time £3,300
Tuition fees for International students 2020/21
MSc: Full time £23,310
Postgraduate Diploma: Full-time £15,540
You’ll show your progress through a combination of written essays, problem-solving assignments and presentations.
All students take our core modules, but please note that the availability of optional modules is subject to demand.
The Higher Certificate in Food Control is the baseline qualification set by the Food Standards Agency for officers who deliver the full range of official food controls and enforcement sanctions.
Officers with the Higher Certificate in Food Control can deliver the fill range of official controls in food premises for the FSA and for Local Authorities.
University Careers Network
Preparation for your career should be one of the first things you think about as you start university. Whether you have a clear idea of where your future aspirations lie or want to consider the broad range of opportunities available once you have a Newcastle degree, our Careers Network can help you achieve your goal.
Our unique careers guidance service is tailored to your academic subject area, offering a specialised team (in each of the five academic colleges) who can give you expert advice. Our team source exclusive work experience opportunities to help you stand out amongst the competition, with mentoring, global internships and placements available to you. Once you have a career in your sights, one-to-one support with CVs and job applications will help give you the edge.