- Develop your interest in healthcare ethics and law by taking a flexible and interdisciplinary course.
- Apply bioethical issues to a variety of real-world scenarios.
Postgraduate Certificate (PGCert)
How long it takes:
9 months (full-time); 18 months (part-time)
Distance learning/ Campus
Find out more about
Newcastle Law School
Course unit details
On this course, you are required to successfully complete 60 credits of course units.
The optional 15 credit course units on offer may vary each year due to staff availability.
If you are studying the campus-based certificate, you will complete the 30 credit core units in Philosophical Bioethics in semester one and Research Ethics and Ethics and Genetics course units in semester two, on a full-time basis.
If you are studying the distance learning certificate, you are normally expected to complete the 30 credit core units in Philosophical Bioethics and the 15 credit unit in Ethics and Genetics in Year 1 and Research Ethics in Year 2.
Course unit list
The course unit details given below are subject to change, and are the latest example of the curriculum available on this course of study.
|Ethics & Genetics and Genomics||CSEP60192||15||Mandatory|
Academic entry qualification overview
Postgraduate Certificate applicants must hold a minimum of a Second Class Lower (2.2) Honours degree. In exceptional circumstances candidates who do not have first degree, but who can demonstrate professional competence, may be admitted.
- IELTS – overall score of 7, including 7 in writing with no further component score below 6.5;
- TOEFL IBT 103 with 28 in writing and no further score below 25 in each section. TOEFL code for Newcastle is 0757.
- Pearson – overall 73 with 73 in writing and no further score below 66
Scores are valid for 2 years.
Please note that CAS statements are issued only when all conditions of the offer have been satisfied, PDF copy of passport received and the offer accepted.
- PGCert (full-time)
UK/EU students (per annum): £3,167
International students (per annum): £6,334
- PGCert (part-time distance learning)
UK/EU students (per annum): £3,167 per annum
International students (per annum): £6,334 per annum
You’ll show your progress through a combination of written essays, problem-solving assignments and presentations.
All students take our core modules, but please note that the availability of optional modules is subject to demand.